Rosemary Shrager is an English chef, ,a haute cuisine teacher on the reality television programme Ladette to Lady, and as a judge on Soapstar Superchef. Other TV projects have included Kitchen Showdown With Rosemary Shrager, urging fast-food families onto healthy cuisine with her naturally extrovert “no-nonsense” cookery . EASY PIZY !
Currently she is hosting her latest TV series Rosemary Shrager’s School for Cooks, where “Eight of the UK’s most notorious ladettes – binge-drinking, foul-mouthed and sexually “liberated” beings – will undergo an intensive, five-week course designed to transform them into paragons of eloquence will compete for the opportunity to work in a Michelin star restaurant.
Shrager was a headmistress on the MTV reality show, The Girls of Hedsor Hall. She and food historican Ivan Day recreated dishes cooked for Queen Victoria on the 2011 BBC series Royal Upstairs Downstairs
Here are one of her Paella Recipes
Serves 4 to 6
- 1 Small chicken
- ½ large Spanish onion, sliced
- Olive oil
- 200 ml. white wine
- 500 g. tomatoes, peeled, seeded and chopped
- ½ red sweet pepper
- 2 cloves garlic
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tablespoon marjoram, chopped
- 400 ml. chicken stock
- Good pinch saffron
- 150 g. risotto rice
- 100 g. chorizo, sliced
- 450 g. monk fish, cut into chunks
- 1 large squid
- 8 tiger prawns
- 50 g. French beans, cooked and refreshed
- 1 teaspoon paprika
For the garnish:
- 1 lemon cut in wedges
- Handful black olives
- 2 tablespoons parsley, chopped
- 250 g. mussels, take from above.
- You will need a large pan, preferably a paella pan, otherwise a large
sautéing pan or frying pan.
- First cut the chicken into small pieces. Add some oil to the large pan
and fry on all sides till brown. Add the paprika and soften the onion in the
oil. Now add the tomatoes, red pepper, garlic, bay leaves, marjoram, chicken
stock and saffron and cook for 20 minutes on low heat.
- In another pan heat some oil and brown the chorizo on all sides, then
remove. Clean the squid by removing the contents of the body and wash
thoroughly. Cut off the tentacles and cut the body into rings. Brown the squid
and its tentacles in the chorizo pan then the monkfish and tiger prawns. This
will give some richness.
- Now add the rice and the wine to the chicken and tomatoes and continue
cooking on a low heat for 15 minutes. Add the fish and beans. Cover and cook for
a further 15 minutes or until the rice is just tender.
- Garnish with the olives, chopped parsley and lemon wedges. Serve from
the pan and let the guests help themselves.